Thursday, February 21, 2008

All You Need Is A Bandaid

RIght now I can do magic. According to Lilypad Princess, anything bad, a scraped knee, a scratch, hurt feelings, can be fixed with a bandaid and a kiss. In LP's world, there isn't anything that can't be fixed this way.

This week I have witnessed 2 people in pain beyond anything I could imagine. This is one of the worst parts of being an adult, knowing these kinds of pain exist, and not being able to do anything to make it better.

Earlier this week, someone I "know" from an online group lost her 3 month old daughter. I don't think there could be any emotional pain worse than what she is going through. Her daughter was a such a fighter right from the start, and she is just such a strong, amazing woman. We were all praying for a miracle that did not happen.

Today as we were heading out to do errands, we passed a terrible car accident that had just happened. In fact, it was so recent that police, fire, and ambulance had not arrived yet. So Lilypad Dad pulled over and ran over to do what he could to help until they arrived. The man had crashed into a pole and was thrown from his car.

Lilypad Princess started to get upset as she watched her dad run away from our car, so I just told her that someone was hurt and daddy had to go help him. LP, in her childish innocence, told me that daddy was going to give him a bandaid to make it all better.

I wish that there was some way to keep LP from ever having to know that these types of pain even exist in the world, and to ensure that she never has to experience either one. I would love to go back to living with the belief that all it takes is a bandaid to fix anything.

4 comments:

Alana Goldstein said...

Oh so true!!! I was thinking something very similar as I kssed BP and BB good night last night. If we only had the power to make sure they NEVER felt anny pain!

Buby + Bleu said...

Buby is all about the bandaid now, too. It's magic. I know how upset Buby gets when his friends have boo boos or even if I say one of them is home sick. All day long he reminds me that his friend is sick, and he asks me when they'll be all better. So I don't even want to think about how it feels for children to experience loss or devastation for the first time.

allison said...

What a tough thing for you to witness and be a part of. It's always earth-shattering to be reminded of our mortality. Makes us so grateful for what we have. Sorry you to had experience these this week. Glad that LPs Dad was there to help.

Lily Pad Nana said...

And I wish that I could go back to that time when I could fix all of your problems with a hug and a bandaid too. I miss my babies.
Love, Mom